It seems obvious but you do need to have a good think about why you need a professional headshot long before you have your professional headshot taken. Not only will these be helpful for you but they will also help your professional headshot photographer. The things you should thinking about are:
- Why you need a professional headshot? (new website, new opportunity, social media presence, press release, recruitment i.e LinkedIn)
- When do you need a professional headshot by?
- What brought this on?
- Where else do you intend to use your headshots? (i.e. website, business card, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, one pager biography, press releases, book cover, products, roll up banners, email signature, a copy for your mum?
- What are the main messages you would like your professional headshot to communicate? (i.e. confidence, approachability, trust, professional, caring, fun, quirky)
- Whats the very best thing that can happen as a result of having a professional headshot?
- What will achieving that result mean to you?
- What are your/your companies core values?
- Who is your target audience or ideal client you are looking to attract?
- Are you thinking of writing a book or launching any products (CD, DVD etc) in the near future?
- Have you seen any professional headshot photos that you particularly like the style of? (take examples to show your professional headshot photographer)
- Do you (or any of your staff) have any particular worries or concerns about being photographed?
- Would you like to book a professional hair and make up artist for your shoot?
- Would you like professional image advice?
Other things your professional headshot photographer will need to know…
- What are your current brand colours? (logo, website, etc)
- What style of photos do you like? (studio, location, posed, candid, colour, black & white)
- Are you working on any other branding?
- If it’s a company team headshot shoot, is there anyone in your company that may need a greater selection of images? (i.e. Senior Execs, company spokesperson)